Monday, February 16, 2009

Friends and enemies.

It is amazing to me that in this day and age (and by age, I mean people in my age group, around 30 years) can still allow themselves to be swept up in petty conflicts and poor-mannered game playing that results in a whole lot of mess and heartache.

Are people that bored and lonely that they need to EXTEND conflicts BEYOND their already overworn boundaries? When does somebody stop and surrender? When does one party say, "this is ridiculous. I am backing down. I hurt you and I am asking for forgiveness."

WHY is being vulnerable and honest SO HARD for us? We can send a man to the moon. We can build a nuclear arsenal that is capable of obliterating the whole of humanity. We can alter DNA. We can put a broken body back together with screws and nails.

But we cannot say to another human being that we love them, that we forgive them, and that we, ourselves have also made bad decisions that we need to apologize for.

I found myself wrapped up in a conflict between two people, and found myself astounded. They each tell me that the other is continuing the conflict. That the other is to fault.

I had no idea of this age-old conflict until recently, and moreover I don't know these two friends very well anyway. But I know that they are both adults who continue to let this situation simmer and boil. Why?

This is the kind of thing that gets me down. If we are not advocates for peace with our friends and relatives, there is no hope of a global peace.

Maybe y'all have long since given up on global peace. But I'm still hanging by a thread. A short thread.