Sunday, February 22, 2009

The freedom is mine.

Found an inspiring article about a man working with the Red Cross in Afghanistan. The link is here.

Been thinking a lot about working overseas, obviously since working in India. And for once in my life, how happy I am to be single! I am actually starting to realize that reality - that I will have a "skill" that allows me to get a job in a number of different places. Granted the economy has collapsed and there are hardly any jobs.

But my point is really that wherever I may find a job, I am free to go, with no other person to take into consideration. And this is a true and exciting freedom that I have really never felt.

Not sure what opportunities will be feasible, but I'm going to look into:

1) Vancouver, B.C. (apparently 25 tech job openings at the moment, and not too hard to get a work visa according to my Canadian tech friend)

2) Dubai (obviously central to traveling many places. Dubai's economy is also in peril, however there are a number of x-ray tech listings)

3) humanitarian projects in the Middle East, Southeast Asia, etc. I need to have an income to pay off student loans, so the Red Cross is maybe out for now. But a thought for later.

I would like to work in Afghanistan or Pakistan at some point with victims of terrorist violence and/or landmines... been reading lots about the need there for rehab and orthopedic surgery (which heavily relies on x-ray).

So that is my speal of the night.

Had a great hike today. Love having Sundays off now. Rejuvinating to the soul to have a day off every week.