Thursday, June 18, 2009

Into the land of the big wigs...

Today we drive highway 20. My parents' first glimpse of our "Alps." My heart is pounding in anticipation... haven't driven that highway since September of last year, for my last hike of the season.

Let 2009 Mountain Season begin!!

Soon I will be hitting the terrain by foot, pack on back, leaving city life behind.

There's something immensely comforting about that. As much as I love the city and crave what it offers, I also despise the "marketing of self," the effort to be social, to fit in to popular culture on days that I'd rather just be quiet and fade into the mountainous natural landscape.

To look before me and behind me, and see nothing man made. To breathe in and breathe out, and not have to impress anyone or say anything witty.

To be out there, be silent, and know that am alive, I am myself, I am part of this gigantic world of beauty.