Saturday, February 20, 2010

where does all this stuff go?

I luvvvvvv to make things.

From the time I was a baby, I loved making messes that involved shapes and colors. And I still love that today.

Putting patterns, colors, shapes together into pleasing and stimulating arrangements. Figuring out how to copy something I've seen, and how to make the pieces fit together just right.

But I continue to be plagued by this fear in the background of my creative subconscious: Where does all this stuff go? What purpose will it serve? Is it just really junk in the end?

Is all this stuff just more clutter in our overly materialistic society?

From ancient times, creative types became potters, sculptors, painters... but in early times, there weren't places like Target and Walmart which sold every item a household might possibly need. Potters made things that people needed to use to eat. Painters were commissioned for public spaces, palaces, places of value.

Now, especially in America, average joes have all the materials to crank out all this junk, our "crafts," and what becomes of all this stuff?

I love making it all, and I don't know what to do with it. Most of it's not worthy of being sold, so...

??

I admire artists who recycle, but... easier said than done.