
My last email of the trip to say we arrived home safe today in Seattle, ragged yet happy to be back in our beautiful city, despite the fog that blanketed the water, mountains and buildings. Yes I will say it, the cliche that you're expecting to hear: "we are so lucky to have all that we have."
It is quite evident today, as I look at my house, on this near perfectly manicured street, in this clean, beautiful city with crisp structures nestled in between mountains and water- indeed, how much material wealth we have grown accustomed to - and do take for granted. And how much access we have to public services and infrastructure: Fire Departments. Medical Services. Traffic observances.
Windows. Shoes. Grass. Homes. Electricity. Water. Plumming. Wood. Beds. Grocery Stores. Doctor's offices. Fire departments. Cars. Refrigerators. Restaurants. Coffee shops. Stores stocked with goods. Music venues. Peanut butter. Spaces free of rats and cockroaches.
Some of these conveniences we craved during our absence - hot showers, clean beds, peanut butter, fried eggs. I have now had eggs. They really didn't taste as good as I remembered. I like hot water, but it wasn't as miraculous as I'd imagined. I have half a mind to keep taking cold water showers and save myself a little on the water heating bill.
At the camp we had the great fortune of being enveloped in a world of sweeping generosity. Persons who were filled with a peace and overflowing sense of fulfillment and joy. So much so that their very skin seemed to radiate it - the laugh lines around their eyes shouting a happiness, a happiness to be there, serving others. People who live very simple lives and give the rest of their money and time to help the poor. Many of these people were members of the Jain community, while many were of other faiths. But regardless, in most of the doctors and volunteers at Bidada, we caught an overwhelming sense of love for others: a desire for all to be healthy, for all to live at peace with one another and to live in rich community and family. Many people who are actively involved in numerous community projects at home and abroad to bring these desires into action, one dollar, one hour, one person, one medical condition, at a time. I went into the camp with a anthropological interest in the tribal groups of the Kutch area - and I left feeling loved - loved by the people whom I had worked alongside, and loved by my patients whom I had served, loved by friends and family back home who sent me lovely emails.
In this world where nations are at war, in this world where bombs are lobbed over borders indiscriminately , let us work for peace in each relationship that we have, with each friend, coworker, family member - let us advocate for the needy and the poor and be generous with all that we have, and most of all of this, love. Yes material goods or health care will not bring a needy person happiness, but this spirit of giving and caring for each other will change us, and will catch like wildfire and spread, and create a human infrastructure of support that has capabilities of crossing political, religious, cultural and socioeconomic borders.
We don't need to travel thousands of miles away to do something for somebody; the opportunities are right here, each day that we pass each other, each day that we encounter another human being. Let us put our money and our mouths and our actions where our hearts know they should be. Let me carry India with me always, and the faces and the lives by whom I've been touched. Let me see color and vibrance in this fog, and let me be of service to others even on days that I only want to think about myself. I look forward to being back at Harborview and working with all of the inspiring people and patients there, who make working in health care a true joy and great privilege.
And I will carry India with me,
I will carry India with me.
Thank you for reading, you are all so very dear and special to me.
Love Mandy