Sunday, June 27, 2010

Learning.

Well, preparing for this upcoming pottery show has:

a) made me work very very hard

b) caused me to improve my throwing skills

c) made me realize that i'm not ready to have a show yet!

d) made me realize that I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to glazing

I was so frustrated tonight... had spent 20+ hours painting the red underglaze meticulously onto each bowl, then when I went to dip them in blue glaze, I ran into multiple problems.

One mishap was that I accidentally splashed wax resist all over the table, which is meant to PREVENT glaze from getting onto your bowl. So that was problem #1... and the list goes on.

More than ever, I realize that I NEED this glazing class, and I am so thankful we are officially starting it this Thursday. I can only get so far, teaching myself... I will end up learning mostly by error rather than trial if I continue as I have been!

Tomorrow night will be the fateful opening of the big kiln, to see how horrible everything turned out...

I just need a few good ones for the show, is that too much to ask!? Please pottery gods!