Monday, October 17, 2005

homeward bound.

Hello All,
I've fallen way behind again in reporting, but wanted to let you know we fly out from Delhi tonight, and arrive back in Seattle Wednesday around noon.

We had a wonderful stay in Bhuj - saw many amazing villagers with the help of a taxi driver who grew up in the village and spoke Katchi. He was Muslim, as many people in that region are, and invited us to eat the feast in the evening with his family (this is now the month of Ramadan, so they were fasting in the daylight hours). It was really special.Hopefully I got some good photos... the village people also had amazing
wardrobes of mirrowork and emroidery, and they live in little mud huts with paintings on the walls... wish I had time to describe. They even tried to teach us a little embroidery! We were terrible of course!

We then spent a couple days on the southern coast of Gujarat, on the island of Diu, relaxing on the beach and soaking up the waves of the Arabian Sea. It was glorious. We weren't sure if we'd be excessively bothered, but it turned out to be a really quiet beach - only a handful of INdian families and only a few creepies. We then took a flight from Ahmedabad back to Delhi. We've been staying at the house of an Indian family in Delhi which we met through friends back home, so that's been awesome. The parents are Hindus and the kids are Christian, so that's been interesting to learn about their family. Rajni, one of the daughters, is waiting for us right now to
take us for our final day of shopping, so I'd better get going! I'll let everyone know when we make it back to the states!

Love you all,
Mand