Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Crocodile to Reopen!!

Crocodile to Reopen!!
I was just walking by the Croc last week on my way to Umi, and thought to myself, "Why, to look in the windows, you'd never know this club has been closed for months. Everything is still sitting in there, as if it could reopen tonight. I wonder what they're ever going to do with the place."

And on my doorstep this morning, there was an answer, front page of the PI.

"Rejuvenated Crocodile Cafe set to reopen early next year."

Now, I'm not one to use the religious phrase that my family throws around, but gosh, is this ever an appropriate moment to be sacrilegious...

I just have to... say it...

PTL!! (praise the lord)

Ok. So it is apparently under new ownership... but... let's just hope... it still brings in the music.

Actually, I don't even love the tiny little dark room with the huge posts blocking a view of the stage... but... even still, for some reason, there's a magic - an authenticity, and an old, grubbly stylish tile on the floor of the cafe that makes me a devoted fan.

Not to mention Nirvana (as well as countless other groups) getting their start there... can you just feel the suicidal energy pulsing through the room!

And... there are the personal memories. Pete and I's first "date" to see Pete Droge in 2000. Passing out because I was being smooshed in the crowd at a Low show in 2001. My birthday party in 2004. Introducing my friends, Jamie (boy) to Jamie (girl) at a Nada Surf show there in 2005... (which was followed by love and marriage). Now, think! in all the time the Croc has been closed... have there been missed opportunities for love and happiness?

I mean, Neumos gets some good bands and all, but it's just so gymnasium feeling. The Croc still leads you to believe that you are so close to the musicians that you are breathing the same oxygen as they are. (Remember seeing Ghostland there Eli? and then seeing them at the Showbox, which was like an laser arena show...)

It's a special place, simply because bigger-named acts will agree to play there, because of the notoriety of the place, even when they could easily pack the Showbox or even the Paramount.

Let's just hope the forecasted "remodel" doesn't destroy the vibe...

And I have faith that the lineups will be still stellar.

I am reeling with excitement.

Let's hope there are many fall evenings consisting of happy hour at Umi's, followed by a show at the Croc.

And as for winter, well...

I'll be in India.